When visiting the VITA site for tax preparation assistance, organizing all of your tax documents beforehand can help save you time and make your tax filing easier. Here is a sample listing of items to help you get your tax documents in order:

  • W-2s for each job held in 2016 for each person in the household, this form reports your name, wages, and other tax information to the IRS

  • 1099s showing other income (unemployment, social security, school loans, health care reimbursement, state tax refund, gambling winnings, contract work) that is reported to the IRS

  • 1098s showing payments you’ve made (school loans, property tax)

  • 1095-A if you received credit from the healthcare.gov marketplace

  • Income/interest statements received for any savings account/investments

  • Bank account numbers: a voided check or your bank or credit union’s routing number and savings or checking account number for your refund to be deposited automatically into your account through direct deposit

  • Last year’s tax return (if you have it)

  • Social Security Numbers for every member of your household

 To help maximize your tax return, we also recommend that you collect:

  • Childcare expenses: name, address, Tax ID or Social Security Number of your child care provider

  • Business expenses and assets: if you’re self-employed or have a small business

  • College: loans and/or scholarships received, and bills for technical/community college or university (Forms 1098-T/1098-E)

  • Educator expenses for teaching grades K-12 (school supplies and materials used in the classroom)

  • Charitable donations: list of contributions and amounts, receipts for contributions over $250

  • Vehicles: vehicle sales tax, personal property tax statement for each car you own, total miles driven for the year and/or total miles driven for business

  • Renters: amount of rent paid (if renting)

  • Homeowners: mortgage interest statement (Form 1098), real estate taxes paid, Statement of Property Tax Payable in 2015

  • Retirement/IRA: amount contributed to an IRA (Individual Retirement Account) and total value as of December 2015

  • Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN): if you need do not have a Social Security Number, you may need apply for an ITIN for yourself or a family member, find out what other documents you need to take with you when you get help filing your taxes for free